Pages

Monday, June 29, 2015

Motivation without talent

It would probably surprise most of my friends to learn that every morning I read the sports pages first. I am not a fanatic about any particular sport but I find the variety of technical and personal stories very interesting. Last year the paper I read (The Globe and Mail) hired a new sportswriter named Cathal Kelly. His first assignment was to cover the World Cup in Argentina. He writes brilliantly and I laughed and cried while reading his stories about soccer and the experience of traveling within the country.

I often read aloud to George from his stories, no matter what the topic. Today I was anxious to find out what he had to say about Canada's women's soccer team's loss to England in the quarter-finals of the Women's World Cup. Here's the sentence that made the front page of the paper.
This team was proof that motivation without talent is as useful as a parachute without shoulder straps.
That's going on my wall. 

You can read the whole article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment