Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Planning ahead

I am facing a two week hospitalization followed by twelve weeks or so of recuperation at home. As soon as I get out of the ICU I anticipate that I will pick up my iPad and connect with the world, do some work and watch movies. But I know there will be a limit to how much I can rely on the iPad to entertain me. On top of that I will start to get disgusted at how unproductive much of the time spent with technology can be.

So I am planning some knitting projects. I already know that I want to knit a lace scarf for one of my surgeons and socks for the other but both types of knitting require a lot of concentration. They are not well-suited to how I expect to feel for the first eight weeks. 

For the last few months I have had the urge to knit a blanket. I think it started with this.


Now that I look at the details of that blanket it doesn't hold the appeal it did when I first saw it. The modular idea is a good one, however. It will let me work at a manageable scale and I'll get a bit of reinforcement every time I finish a block. I started looking for alternatives that could be made in a modular fashion. 

I think I have settled on my choice. I will make a log cabin block and then frame it. The blocks will be made of Noro Kureyon and the frame of Berroco Vintage. I have some Noro at home but it is not sufficient for an entire blanket so I went shopping for something complimentary.

Here are my choices of approaches to a log cabin blanket. Both projects are made by user sprucetree18 on Ravelry and use Sarah Bradberry's formula for a log cabin block. I like the second one best. It is the same concept as the first but the frame colour also appears at the centre of each square.




Here are my color choices for the first experimental blanket which may be more lap robe sized.




No comments:

Post a Comment