Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Spots and patterns

Trolling the internet at night reveals images which link to things I have seen elsewhere and a pattern continues to emerge.

First I stumbled on the work of Joyce Robins. These pieces are clay with color applied through glaze and paint.

Five Circles, Joyce Robins

Red Blue Open Circle, Joyce Robins

Striped Rectangle, Joyce Robins

That reminded me of another artist whose work has entranced me since I first saw examples in the book 500 Tiles, published by Lark. Andrew Van Assche does not seem to have a website so sourcing images was difficult.

Rotation, Andrew Van Assche




Barbara Schneider's Tree Ring Patterns series is linked to the first two artists, at least in my mind - both by repetition of a basic shape and by a neutral palette. You will have to click on the link to see the work. While you are on her site, check out the Leaves series as well.

Finally, we come full circle. I came across the Joyce Robins reference on Betty Busby's Facebook page because I need to talk to Betty about our upcoming regional SAQA show. When I looked at Betty's website I discovered that she started as a ceramacist. There are lots of goodies on her page - she is prolific - but I am most attracted to her Macro pieces (in the Fiber gallery) and this recent vessel is one of my favorites of hers.

Ginger Jar, Betty Busby





No comments:

Post a Comment