Sunday, January 4, 2015

More like it

It was a snowy day and I accomplished a lot. Samples for the mitochondrion piece worked out well. I will be able to use some of my favourite materials and techniques to great effect. And I did some hand stitching experiments using very stiff upholstery thread that was originally purchased to warp my beading loom. The hand stitching will form the matrix of the 'cell' so it needs to give an overall texture with some variation.

I also did research on texture for the accompanying 'muscle tissue'. At last I have a reason to really study The Art of Manipulating Fabric by Colette Wolff. I have learned that I like shirring over a tightly held cord over the more traditional gathering thread technique. All the samples are made with Kaufman PFD fabric so I can do some dye experiments later.

Time = 1 hr, 47 min

No comments:

Post a Comment