Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Everyone needs one

When it appeared that I would spend a lot of time in bed after my surgery we finally got around to a long delayed chore. For years we have intended to upgrade the wall lights in our bedroom. They were too small, put out too little light and the light was aimed up rather than down toward the area where we needed it. I knew just what I wanted and ordered two lights in August. They arrived at the store in September and a friend (thanks Deb!) picked them up and delivered them to us after I got out of the hospital.

In the meantime, George made a trip to Home Depot and bought a new light switch. I had confirmed that the fixture was dimmable so he bought a dimming switch with a remote control. I think he had visions of me laying incapacitated in bed and using the remote to control the lights.

I never spent a day in bed after I got home but that hasn't kept me from enjoying the remote. It lives in the drawer of my bedside table (where Tock can't find it). Every night when we are both done reading, I crack open the drawer push the button and the room slowly goes dark. There's no need for either of us to crawl out of the warm covers into the cold room air. On dark mornings when I have to teach a 6:15 class I can turn on the lights as soon as the alarm goes off. That reduces the chances that I will stay in bed 'just a few more minutes'. I always pay for that comfort by having to rush to finish my breakfast and dress for class.

I didn't know just how much I loved the remote until this weekend. It somehow lost its programming and it took me two days to find the instruction manual. During that time I groaned and whined a lot about not having the lights at my fingertips, so to speak.

I doubt that the switch cost more than $25. That's very little money  for the delight it has brought. Put one on your shopping list for this weekend. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment